Top Ten Cynical Valentine's Day Quotes
10. "Never go to bed mad -- stay up and fight." -Phyllis Diller
9. "Once you have loved someone, you'd do anything in the world for them...except love them again."
8. "Love is like war: Easy to begin but hard to end." -Jan Forrest
7. "Love has the power of making you believe what you would normally treat with the deepest suspicion."
-Honoré Gabriel Riqueti
6. "Three things can't be hidden: coughing, poverty, and love." -Yiddish proverb
5. "I should like to see any kind of a man, distinguishable from a gorilla, that some good and even pretty woman could not shape a husband out of." -Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
4. "A woman might as well propose: her husband will claim she did." -Edgar Watson Howe
3. "No man is truly married until he understands every word his wife is NOT saying." -Every Husband Ever
2. "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." -Willard G. Utley
And the number one cynical Valentine's Day quote...
1. "The people people have for friends
Your common sense appall
But the people people marry
Are the queerest folk of all." -Charlotte Perkins Gilman
And the alternates...
"It does not matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you do not do it in the street and frighten the horses." -Mrs. Patrick Campbell
"A happy home is one in which each spouse grants the possibility that the other may be right, though neither believes it." -Don Fraser
"If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?" -Dorothy Parker
"There are three kinds of men who do not understand women: Young, old, and middle-aged." -Anonymous (and with good reason)